Thursday, June 28, 2012

do overs...

Every kid has played a game in their life (at least I hope they have) and messed up in some fashion. A misstep in double dutch, a bad swing in baseball, a slip in pitty pat. And just when you think it's over and it is the turn of the NEXT person, you hear the ubiquitous battle cry of the playground...
"DO OVER!!!"
Cue argument and pleading!

The fact of the matter is we all live with something that we would love to do over. These are not necessarily regrets but things that we'd love to again. Life gives us a different perspective to the things that we experienced earlier in our days. It can be as simple as watching a movie that you LOVED as a kid (I advise not doing this one...it makes you wonder what the hell you were thinking back then), or going back to favorite place again. For me, it has taken the form of wanting to retake EVERY picture that I took before I started learning more about photography.

I wonder if all photogs go through this? I traveled a lot with my wife when we were not parents. We went to some fun places. For our honeymoon, we went to the most photographed place in the world, Italy! I look at our pictures from that trip and YEARN to return and retake everyone of those shots!!

Recently, I got an opportunity redo a shot that I took years ago. There is this brook in a place called Frost valley that I wanted to photograph. I got a chance to and took the shot ...and it sucked. I learned how to shoot running water and recently purchased the equipment to do it properly. I returned to the same stream, changed my point of view, used proper technique, and VOILA!! I love the shot. Here is the before and after. Next up, back to Italy!!
The "Before" image
The New Image "Frosted Stream"

3 comments:

Aisha G of HartlynKids said...

Amazing

Annamaria said...

LOVE the new pic. BUT you gotta take me to Italy too. I am one of your other wives... LOL

Hayden said...

I'll keep that in mind when I hit the lottery!!