Thursday, March 31, 2011

Nervous like a bride

When I got married, everyone asked me if I was nervous. My answer was always 'no' because I knew I was marrying the right woman for me and someone that I loved. There was nothing for me yo be nervous about. But there in fact was. Weddings are, at their basest level, events and things go wrong at events. I may not have been nervous about the WOMAN that I was marrying but what if I sneezed right when the pastor says "you may kiss the bride"? What if I trip and tumble down the aisle instead of the stately walk I planned? We have all seen the disaster weddings prominently displayed on youtube (and if you have not, stop reading right now, go to youtube, type in 'bride falls into water', and see how many videos pop up!). So, yes: I should have been nervous. But I wasn't and if you know me, that's just my nature.

However, I am nervous now. I have a wedding in a few days. I am not the groom. I am not a guest. I am the photographer. I think I might be as nervous as the bride herself! Once again, weddings are events where things go wrong. When I got married and if something went wrong, I knew at the end of the day, we'd get a laugh out of it and I'd still have gotten married. It's soooooo different when you're the photog! If something goes wrong with me, I may ruin someone's entire day AND their future ability to share those memories with friends and family. I am completely prepared for the event but no-one can be prepared for walking backwards to catch a bride approaching you, tripping, falling, and smashing your camera. Shooting a wedding is one of the most nerve racking jobs that you will ever take as a photographer! Remember that sneeze at the first kiss? Well if YOU sneeze at the moment at MISS the kiss, you can pretty much forget about a high satisfaction rating and residual income!

Even with all of that looming over your head, a wedding is the most exciting event you will shoot because you get everything rolled into one: portraiture, party scene, candids, detail & macro shots, and sometimes even musicians. It's a great ride and will leave you exhausted but if you're prepared, you may get some of the best photographs that you will ever take.

And I'm off to sharpen my focus and make more memories. See you in the next frame.

7 comments:

LeonX said...

Just remember something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue (no Alec).

Unknown said...

Good luck to you Bro...

Anonymous said...

You'll do just fine :)

ZimZimmaaa said...

Macro shots are sooooo beautiful.

Wishing you the very best Hayden!!! I know you'll do wonderfully!!

Hayden said...

Thanks Leon. I'll try to remember that ! LOL

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Like I said, I'm prepared but you never know. With any other kind of job you can do things over. Not the case with weddings! No matter how prepared you are, they make you nervous!

And thanks for the well wishes FUBAR...even though I have no die who you are! I appreciate the love!!!

Unknown said...

Ok when you posted this, I thought shooting at a wedding , my God people are out of control. Then I said ok he is a photographer, he is not talking about gun shots ; ). Just be loose and be you, instincts will kick in and know that you are a professional in all that you do, and remember who we are. Brothers that provide the best performance as it is our duty to serve. Just remind the key people to smile no matter what happens and you will take care of the rest. Artistic documents / memories of their wedding.
John Chris

Bird said...

You were phenomenal! I was honored to be the subject of your art!! And people are already asking where they can order photos from...so imma go out on a limb and say the Collier residuals will be substantial.